With the presidential election coming up, political debates can get heated, quickly spiraling out of control. I have very strong opinions about politics. I also want to keep my friends, Democrats and Republicans alike. Therefore, I will try not to spew my political views all over the internet. (If I slip up and get mouthy, please remember I respect your views as well. Can we still be friends?)
So, in an effort to bring a little fun to the political process, I’ve decided to do something really stupid. (What else is new, right?)
I’m inviting readers to nominate a presidential candidate. Yes, that’s what I said. Nominees will be accepted until Monday September 17th at noon eastern daylight time. The polls will open on September18th at midnight and will remain open for a full 24 hours. The winner will be announced September 19th at noon (EDT).
Here are the rules:
- You cannot nominate a real person.
- You may nominate your favorite character from a novel. The candidate does not have to be human.
- The character can be from a book you wrote (published or unpublished).
- Post your nominee in the comments section on this blog. You must include a ONE paragraph campaign speech telling us why your candidate would make a great president. You may include ONE link to your personal website or blog.
- You may tell blatant lies (this is politics, after all)
- One nominee per person
- You may bully all your friends and family into voting for your candidate.
- The winning candidate receives nothing, however the person who nominated the winning candidate will receive an autographed copy of my book and some bling. Oh, and you can tell all your friends that you were the campaign manager for the newly elected President.
- You must have fun.
So, that’s it. Start working on your campaign speeches and get those submissions rolling in. Don’t forget to check back throughout the week to read up on the growing list of candidates. (We might do some fun stuff too. You just never know.)